WCTE is launching the PBS KIDS Writers Contest, a national competition designed to promote the advancement of children’s reading skills through hands-on, active learning. The effort encourages children in grades K-3 in the Upper Cumberland and communities across the country, to celebrate the power of creating stories and illustrations by submitting their own original stories and illustrations.
Start Date: January 1, 2015
Deadline for Entries: April 17, 2015
Download Entry Form & Rules:
- PBS Writing Contest is the Largest Annual National Contest of its kind targeted to kids K-3rd grades
- www.pbskids.org/writerscontest for online information and to view the winning stories from the 2014 Contest
- Awards will be given to the Librarian and Teacher that turn in highest % of stories
- Teacher resources from PBS LearningMedia and a new partnership with Highlights for Kids Magazine
- A celebration for all winners and their families will be held when the National winners are announced
For more info call Reggie Brown at 931-528-2222 ext. 227 or email.
Download Brainstorming Activity Sheets
PBS KIDS Writers Contest Rules
Eligibility & Entry Guidelines
- Entrants must be children in kindergarten, first, second or third grade.
- Children of employees of PBS, PBS stations or their affiliates, sales representatives, subsidiaries or parent companies, advertising/sales promotion agencies, and judges are not eligible.
- To be eligible, an entrant must be a legal resident of the fifty (50) United States and D.C. (excluding Puerto Rico, USVI and American Samoa). Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify ineligible entries; such entries will not be returned.
- Only one entry per person will be accepted in this Contest; all subsequent entries will be disqualified.
- Only single author stories qualify (no co-authored stories).
- Stories can be fact or fiction, and prose or poetry.
- Any failure to adhere to these Contest Rules may result in disqualification from the Contest.
- No purchase is necessary. Many will enter, few will win.
Word Count Requirement
- Kindergarten and first grade stories must have a minimum of 50 words and a maximum of 200 words.
- Second and third grade stories must have a minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 350 words.
- The word count includes “a,” “an,” and “the,” but not the words on non-story pages such as the title page or those that enhance the illustrations.
- Text must be printed or written legibly or typed.
- Children who cannot write may dictate their story to be printed, written legibly or typed.
- Text may be integrated into the illustration pages or on separate pages.
- Non-English text must be translated on the same page and the translated text (English text) must adhere to word count.
- Invented spelling is accepted.
Format & Illustrations
- Stories must have at least 5 original, clear and colorful illustrations.
- Original art can include drawings, collages, and 3-D created by the author or photographs taken by the author.
- Stories submitted by mail must be created on one side of the paper and numbered on the back of each page.
Official Entry Form
- Each entry must include the official PBS KIDS Writers Contest Entry Form, with the required signature of a parent/guardian (and, if appropriate, the optional signature of the sponsoring teacher), consenting to allowing their child/ward to enter the Contest, confirming that the story and art are original, and granting certain rights to the entry materials.
- The entry form must be complete and legible to be eligible.