This PBS Teacher Planning Kit includes featured Lessons or collections designed to provide additional support around timely topics. This kit includes material for grades Pre-K - 12 grades and has sections dedicated to teaching about elections and civic participation.
Parenting is hard work! But it can also be fun and rewarding. There are many things you can do to help build a safe, stable, and nurturing relationship with your child. WCTE's Connection Zone will help you handle some common parenting challenges, so you can be a more confident parent and enjoy helping your child grow.
Special Message: As we seek to keep ourselves and our loved ones safe, WCTE is proud to serve our community as a source of trusted information and helpful ideas.
How do you talk to your children about scary news events? Encourage your kids to share what they already know, let them ask questions and offer simple, age-appropriate information.
When something difficult or unexpected happens, kids may experience many different feelings. Here are emergency kits, video clips and activities to help families cope in challengin
PreK-12 Resources For New School Routines
As teachers, students and families enter an uncertain school year with new routines, both in-person and virtual, PBS LearningMedia offers this special collection of flexible resources to support learning from anywhere. Find videos, self-paced Interactive lessons, printable activities and more. This collection is also available in Spanish.
Browse our distance learning broadcast schedules aligned with PBS LearningMedia resources: The PBS KIDS 24/7 Channel provides educational programming for children ages 2-8 throughout the day, seven days a week. (en español)
WCTE’s PBS KIDS Channel (22.4) is available 24 hours a day seven days a week with kids’ favorite shows – Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, Arthur, Pinkalicious and Peterrific, Wild Kratts, Odd Squad and many others. The programming also can be accessed at https://pbskids.org/ and on the free PBS KIDS app, available for free on a wide range of platforms.
WCTE PBS KIDS has a variety of free resources to support families:
- The PBS KIDS 24/7 channel offers anytime access to trusted educational series for kids ages 2-8 (check local listings).
- The PBS KIDS Video app is available on mobile, tablet, and connected TV devices and offers on-demand educational videos, and a live stream of the PBS KIDS 24/7 channel. No subscription required.
- The PBS KIDS Games app has nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere. Learn more about these and PBS KIDS' other apps HERE. https://pbskids.org/apps/pbs-kids-video.html
- PBS KIDS for Parents offers information, activities, and tips for parents, including this resource on "How to Talk to Your Kids About Coronavirus". https://www.pbs.org/parents/thrive/how-to-talk-to-your-kids-about-coronavirus
PBS KIDS Newsletter for Parents
Is your child’s school closed due to coronavirus concerns? PBS KIDS’ new weekday newsletter offers activities and tips you can use to help kids play and learn at home. Sign up here!
Ready To Learn
Through the Ready To Learn (RTL) Initiative is an Educational Outreach, Curriculum-based initiatives with our Community Collaboratives For Early Learning Media. WCTE and partners with RTL are able to provide free, evidence-based educational resources that help teachers, caregivers, and parents build early science and literacy skills for America’s children, especially those from low-income communities. https://tn.pbslearningmedia.org/collection/rtl2015/
These partners are: Putnam County School System Extended Learning Programs; Putnam County School System Student Services; Putnam County Library System; Millard Oakley Tennessee Tech STEM Center and Highlands Residential Services.
PBS KIDS Programs with Ready to Learn:
Bright By Text
WCTE is partnering with Bright by Text and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting to provide text message tips for parents and caregivers of children under 5 (including grandparents, aunts, uncles, babysitters, and nannies). Messages are targeted to the specific age of your child and include information on child development, early literacy, health, and safety, as well as local events happening in your community.
To get free learning games and easy-to-understand tips texted to you, text "WCTE" to 274448. It's free and so easy!
PBS Kids Wash Hands
As teachers, students, and families deal with school closures, PBS LearningMedia producers and educators have come together to curate a special collection of resources organized by grade and subject area. Find videos, lesson plans, and activities that support learning at home. Create a free account to save and organize content. https://tn.pbslearningmedia.org/
Featured lesson plans in this collection contain full contextualization for the media they include. Plan and adapt our lessons in creative ways, using the Lesson Builder tool, Google Classroom, Remind, and more.
Meet the Helpers
Many children have questions and can feel uneasy when emergencies occur in their communities. Together, we can help children learn about important community helpers in a calm and fun environment, so when an emergency strikes, children will understand who to look for and how to help. Created by WUCF in Florida, Meet the Helpers is a new public media initiative designed to introduce children to public safety careers and to assist them with emergency preparedness.
Watch the free video resources on the WCTE Meet the Helpers page!
What is Coronavirus? | How Children Can Help
Sesame Street - Caring for Each Other
Sesame Street: More Jokes with Bert & Ernie! | #CaringFo
Your friends on Sesame Street are here to support you during the COVID-19 health crisis. We know that these are stressful times, and families everywhere are creating a new sense of normalcy. So our site is filled with content you can use to spark playful learning, offer children comfort, and focus a bit on yourself, too.
We hope our resources help your family play, learn, and breathe deeply together—and we'll keep adding more in days and weeks to come, including new messages from your Sesame Street pals. Stay tuned and sign up for our newsletter for more! #CaringForEachOther
Information for Parents
WCTE will air updates from local schools, businesses, and members of our Upper Cumberland community on Live at 5:00.
Information for Parents and Families (From the CDC Website)
- Pregnancy - Learn about steps you can take for a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
- Infants & Toddlers (Ages 0-3) - Having a baby or a toddler can be both fun and hard work.
- Children (Ages 4-11) - Your child will change a lot from ages 4 to 11.
- Teens (Ages 12-19) - Read about critical years that will affect both current and future health.
- Practicing Healthy Parenting Skills - Learn how to handle common parenting challenges through interactive activities, videos, and more!
- Additional Resources - Use these resources to help keep your family safe and healthy.
- Mental Health hotline available for those with anxiety about Coronavirus – SAMSHA help hotline: https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline
- PCAT’S 24/7 Parent and Domestic Violence hotline: 1-800-356-6767.
Call Program: Have reassurance by providing scheduled, daily calls to the elderly, home-bound and anyone with limited contact with the outside world. If you would like to sign up, or know of someone that may benefit from the Reassurance Call Program, please call us at 2-1-1.
Contact 211 website: https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact/featured-programs/2-1-1