Below are the listings (if any) of paid part-time and/or full-time positions available at WCTE.
Full or Part -time Positions
Director of Development and Marketing
FULL-TIME POSITION - Download PDF Version
Summary of Position
The Director of Development and Marketing is responsible for creating a collaborative team based approach that will effectively manage all private sector fund raising for WCTE. The Director designs, implements, and manages all fund raising activities including annual giving, endowment and capital campaign, corporate underwriting, grant-writing and specific fund raising special events. The Director of Development and Marketing is also responsible for collaboratively coordinating promotion and station marketing.
The Director serves as part of the WCTE Leadership Team and brings to WCTE’s collective work: Successful fund raising; partnership coordination with area businesses, industries, municipalities, station members and community groups; the ability to professionally represent WCTE at a considerable range of community events and take a leadership role in speaking for the station on air and in public. The Director of Development and Marketing will uphold and promote the values of WCTE and PBS internally and externally, and reports directly to the Station Manager.
The Director of Development and Marketing requires the ability to lead and manage all aspects of the work: including setting and reaching fundraising goals; timelines; budgets and cost projections; grant writing; & communication with key stakeholders. The Director must possess good judgement; strong written and verbal communication skills; administrative and organizational skills; the ability to balance multiple priorities, while leading a team on projects from conception to completion; and serve as the public face for development and marketing on behalf of WCTE and the President / CEO.
- Manages WCTE Strategies and Activities for All Levels of Giving: Annual Giving; Planned Giving; and Major Giving, which includes donor cultivation, solicitation and relations.
- Directs & Manages WCTE Corporate and Special Event Underwriting: Work collaboratively with team members and cross departments for successful corporate gifts and fund raising events including, but not limited to the WCTE Annual Dinner, WCTE Downtown Film Festival and WCTE Great TV Auction.
- Team Building & Community Relations: Build and maintain a collaborative team to facilitate work in fund raising and marketing, while creating and maintaining partnerships with key stakeholders on a local, regional and national level.
- Department Management: Develop & meet budget expectations; maintain department inventory & filing system; oversee the management of databases and all records, files and gift processing.
- Grant Writing / Reporting: Researches and develops grant proposals for foundations and corporations, individually and cross departmentally.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to create and manage a strategic development and marketing plan with budget.
- Must be able to communicate well in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines in demanding surroundings.
- Skilled in providing leadership in a teamwork environment.
- Ability to think clearly, manage multiple changing priorities, and remain pleasant and positive.
- Requires critical thinking and ability to support people with difficult challenges.
- Ability to apply good judgment, and make sound decisions.
Education and Experience
- College degree or equivalent; 6 – 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experienced in managing and implementing techniques for membership solicitation, on-air fundraising, and major gifts.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range is available upon request and will be commensurate with experience. Full benefits package including Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Retirement, and AFLAC, as well as Vacation, Sick Time, and Holidays.
How To Apply
Send resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and three professional references to:
Attention: Human Resources, WCTE Central TN, PBS
Mail: PO Box 2040, Cookeville, TN 38502
Interning at WCTE
WCTE Upper Cumberland PBS offers internships* for college students throughout the year. Internships are specifically designed to provide training and experience for students interested in the various aspects of public broadcasting. Internships described below are, in general, the types of assignments that are available within each department.
Internships are offered to students of all colleges, universities, and trade schools. Recruiting is normally accomplished through the school internship or career services office, and on-campus through career and internship fairs. Students may also contact WCTE directly. WCTE will process applications and the supervisor from the department for which the student is applying will conduct interviews. Once accepted, students are assigned to work on a specific project or production for an academic semester.
*WCTE internships are unpaid, unless otherwise stated.
WCTE has several internship openings for interested individuals, as part of our Talent Enhancement Program, that offers valuable experience in television production, business development, event planning and management, broadcast engineering, and informational technologies. We seek creative, motivated and energetic individuals, including students, from a variety of backgrounds to lend their effort and time. WCTE requires a minimum of 10 hours per week in order to effectively provide engaging, hands-on experience as part of the Talent Enhancement Program.
- Internships offered are without payment, unless otherwise stated in their job description.
- Internships follow a schedule similar to college semesters, beginning and ending around the same time of the year.
- All Candidates MUST have a flexible schedule and provide own transportation.
- Students must be able to commit to a minimum of 10 hours per week.
- We select without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status, as stated in our Anti-Discrimination Policy.
To apply, please complete the online internship application or download the Internship Application and email or mail the application. Each application will require three (3) documents to also be submitted: resume, cover letter (detailing your interest in WCTE), and (1) referral letter (preferably an academic mentor or teacher).
Applications and required documents should be emailed to Donna M. Matson, Director of Human Resources & Business Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the following address:
WCTE Upper Cumberland PBS
c/o: Donna M. Matson
PO Box 2040
Cookeville TN 38502
The Public Broadcasting Act of 1967 declared that “it is in the public interest to encourage the development of programming…that addresses the needs of unserved and underserved audiences, particularly children and minorities." It is essential that public television stations strengthen their commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in their management, their governing boards and their workforce to better reflect the society we serve. Public television management believes that promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in our workforce and organizations is a moral imperative that will also improve our programming, our business operations and our service to our communities. WCTE has a forty plus year history of serving the people of the Upper Cumberland and beyond as a full PBS member station. Join WCTE in our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as we offer our better selves to each other and to the communities we serve.