The Haunted Half Marathon is Going VIRTUAL!
The 2020 Haunted Half marathon has gone virtual! Some may think we are running scared, but we are running strong! While a virtual race is not ideal, it gives us all a reason to keep training, to set personal goals, and run safely in a crowd-free environment of your choosing. Your race fee has been discounted, and all runners will still receive a unique long-sleeved cotton blend race shirt and a Halloween themed medal. Your race fee covers these costs and provides a needed donation to WCTE, our local PBS station that is so vital to our region.
If you do not live locally, we can mail your shirt/medal to you. Please email us via our website, firstname.lastname@example.org, and send your address before our last pick up day, 11/6.
Virtual Race Registration & Shirt Deadline
- Register and pay fee - $50 for individual, $45 per relay runner/$135 per team of 3.
- REGISTER BEFORE MONDAY, OCTOBER 5TH AT MIDNIGHT TO BE GUARANTEED A RACE SHIRT! After September 30th shirts will be given on a first come first serve bases, Your early register is the only guarantee you will get one of this year’s awesome race shirt!
- Registration will be open through October 31.
- All finishers will receive a Finishers Medal!
- Finishers Medal and Race Shirt can be picked up at Express Footwear in Cookeville on October 16th, 23rd, 30th, and November 6th from 3pm until 5:30pm. Participants will also receive 20% off merchandise on the day that they come in to pick up their Haunted Half medals and shirts.
- Race time must be submitted in It’s Your Race app prior to picking up your shirt and finishers medal.
Helpful training links:
- How to Run a Half Marathon – Half marathon training plans for every runner
- Jeff Galloway's Running Tips! - Training Plans for All Level Runners
- Couch to 5k - The Couch to 5k in 9 weeks beginner running program
Step-By-Step to Using the "It's Your Race App" to Time Your Run
Once you have registered on the race, download "IYR Virtual" from your phone's app store. When you open the app, login with your It's Your Race account or create a new account if you don't already have one. Be sure the use the same email address you used to register for the race.
iPhone App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/iyr-virtual/id1506438951
Android App Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.itsyourrace.virtual&hl=en_US
IMPORTANT! If you are an iPhone user, you must ensure IYR Virtual is set to "Always allow" for Location Tracking to ensure an accurate race time. Follow the instructions below after installing the IYR Virtual app.
- Open the Settings on your iPhone
- Scroll down until you find IYR Virtual and tap it.
- Ensure the "Location" setting is set to Always.
- To change the setting tap Location and tap Always from the list of options.
After October 1st, you should see the Haunted Half Marathon as an available race for you to complete in the IYR Virtual app.
Email us at email@example.com if you have any difficulty getting your virtual race stared or with the reported race results.
How Do I Run A Virtual Race?
- Download the It’s Your Race, virtual app! No additional cost to you.
- Set a date, time and a route of your choice to race, between 10/1 and 10/31. Continue training.
- On your race day, open the app and search for Haunted Half marathon Cookeville 38501. Be sure and set your phone location setting __(double check with Brant on this!)
- The It’s Your Race App will prompt you to start your race, and count you down to actual start. It will automatically stop timing when your 13.1 miles is completed; or your 4.4 miles if running relay.
- We recommend also timing your run with a watch or Garmin, as times can be also manually submitted to us via email to runhauntedhalf.com, if for some reason the app does not function properly.
- Race times will be posted on the website under results as soon as you submit them. Only one time per runner may be submitted (no do-overs!)
- You may also submit photo of yourself via the app; wear a costume if you really want to stay in the theme of our race!
- Awards will not be given this year, as times submitted are totally on the honor system. Runners are honorable people, but we thought it best to not do awards this year.
- After you complete your race, you may pick up your shirt and medal at Express Footwear at 1430 Interstate Drive on Friday afternoons, October 9, 16, 23 & 30th from noon to 5 pm. Express Footwear has a great selection of running shoes, awesome socks, and expertise in helping you find the right shoe for you! Please go and shop and thank them for being a loyal sponsor!
Message from the Race Committee:
We encourage you to run with a small group of friends and/or family, either in person or virtually, to keep it fun and competitive. The actual race course is on the website. It is a good course, but there are some sticky traffic areas without police control. Be careful!
What are the benefits to running a virtual race?
There are several benefits to runners that decide to join the Haunted Half Virtual Marathon! Here are just a few of the benefits for runners:
- Runners can run at their leisure
- Runners can run their own route
- Runners can invite family or friends to run with them from other states
- First time runners may find it less intimidating
- It doesn’t eliminate the relay teams
- Minors that qualify to run can now run with a partner during their own time
- Runners have an extended time to run the race
Why should you run the Upper Cumberland Haunted Half Marathon?
When you register, 100% of your race entry proceeds go directly to support WCTE PBS! By supporting WCTE PBS, you support At-Home Learning during COVID-19, you support local media coverage for both the Mayor updates and WCTE's weekly Live at 5:00, and you support access to over the air programming that keep viewers engaged, educated and inspired. When you run the Haunted Half Marathon, you promote life-long learning!
Be on the lookout for...
Please watch for further details from us; pricing information, registration link, shirt deadline and more coming soon.
Relay Race - Is 13.1 miles too scary? Grab some boo’s or ghouls and form a relay team! A team of 3 can register, each person runs an equal amount 4.36 miles, and each receive long sleeved shirt and race medal.
Unique finisher's medal - Every year we feature a unique "haunted" themed finisher's medal that every runner who completes the full half marathon distance will receive.
Awesome shirt design - A long sleeve race shirt with a distinctive design you are sure to wear again and again.Deadline for receiving a Haunted Half shirt with registration is MONDAY, OCTOBER 5TH AT MIDNIGHT!
Great course - Virtual Runners - Runners are invited to run their own course or use the Haunted Half course.
Participants - Participants must be 12 years old prior to race day.
If You Already Purchased Your Registration...
As a registered runner, these are the options we can offer to you:
- Your registration can be switched to virtual and the price difference accepted as a donation to WCTE.
- Your entry can be deferred to 2021, at no charge.
- Your entry fee can be refunded to you.
WCTE has been vital to our area during this challenging time of tornado recovery and education of newly home-bound students. It is a financially challenging time for them, as many of their fundraising events have had to be cancelled or changed significantly. We want to offer you the option of a refund, realizing this may also be a financially challenging time for you, but would humbly ask you to consider switching to virtual and donating the difference to WCTE.